View my contact information
Areas of Expertise:
Tonia Sayour's practice includes all aspects of intellectual property litigation and counseling, with an emphasis on patent and trademark litigation matters. Ms. Sayour has represented a wide range of companies, from small start-ups to nationally known publically traded companies, through all stages of litigation, from pre-suits through trial and appeal. She also counsels clients on overall intellectual property strategy and positioning, including obtaining intellectual property protection, litigation avoidance and licensing. In addition, Ms. Sayour has substantial experience in patent and trademark prosecution and has handled inter partes and ex parte proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- Polytechnic University (now Polytechnic Institute of New York University), B.S., Computer Engineering, 2000
- New York State
- New Jersey State
- United States Courts of Appeal for the Second and Federal Circuits
- United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York, and for the District of New Jersey
- United States Patent & Trademark Office, registered patent attorney.
- Represented a New York City Italian restaurant in a trademark infringement suit. Tried the case to a jury, and obtained a verdict in favor of the client, including a finding that Defendants were willful infringers, acted in bad faith, engaged in fraud before the Trademark Office and abandoned their rights to their mark. The case is now on appeal.
- Represented trading card manufacturer in the defense of a patent infringement action on a memorabilia card patent. The District Court granted summary judgment of obviousness, which was affirmed by the Federal Circuit.
- Represented magnetic snap manufacturer in the defense of an infringement action at trial. The District Court granted judgment as a matter of law at the close of the plaintiff's case and awarded attorneys' fees against the plaintiff and the plaintiff's lawyers for bringing a frivolous case. The case now is on appeal.
- Represented a magnetic snap manufacturer in a patent and trademark infringement lawsuit, and obtained a temporary restraining order and a permanent injunction on consent.
- Represented a major consumer products company in a design patent, trademark and copyright infringement lawsuit and obtained a preliminary injunction and permanent injunction on consent.
- Monitored court proceedings and trial in patent infringement lawsuits and advised hedge funds as to the likely outcome for their investment purposes.
- Represent a major optical disc replicator in the defense of a patent infringement lawsuit.
- Represent a seller of prepaid telephone cards in the defense of a patent infringement suit.
- Represent a high-end handbag manufacturer in various cancellation and opposition proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Media Technologies Licensing, LLC v. Playoff Corporation, --- F.3d ----, 2010 WL 681347 (Fed. Cir. March 1, 2010).
- Romag Fasteners, Inc. v. J.C. Penney, Inc. et al., 2007 WL 4225792 (D. Conn. November 28, 2007).
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- New York Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- International Trademark Association
- "Focus On The Fundamentals: Intellectual Property For The Non-IP Lawyer," National Association of Women Lawyers, Fifth Annual General Counsel Institute, November 2009