View my contact information
Celebrating her 20th year with Cooper & Dunham, Wendy specializes in intellectual property litigation, counseling, licensing and portfolio development, including:
- litigating intellectual property disputes in the U.S. Courts and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including disputes involving patents, trademarks, copyright, false advertising and unfair competition;
- prosecuting ex parte and inter partes trademark matters before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, specializing in high-tech trademark matters;
- conducting intellectual property analyses and providing opinions on patent validity and infringement, and trademark clearance, validity and infringement
- The George Washington University, J.D., 1989
- Pennsylvania State University, B.S., Physics, 1986
- New York State
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeal for the First, Third, Ninth and Federal Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey
- United States Patent & Trademark Office, registered patent attorney
- Represented a major consumer appliance manufacturer as plaintiff in a patent infringement action. Obtained two preliminary injunctions against the defendants, and a $4.5 million jury verdict including a finding of willful infringement. A final Judgment of $4.8 million was affirmed by the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Represented a manufacturer of magnetic snap fasteners as a defendant in a patent infringement action. Obtained judgment as a matter of law at the close of the plaintiff's case at trial, resulting in a dismissal of the complaint. Also obtained post-trial sanctions against the plaintiff. The judgment and sanctions were affirmed by the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Represented a manufacturer of x-ray mammography products as a defendant in a patent infringement lawsuit. Obtained an order dismissing the complaint on summary judgment.
- Represented a manufacturer of magnetic snap fasteners as a plaintiff in a patent infringement action. Obtained a $4.5 million jury verdict including a finding of willful infringement, and an order awarding the plaintiff enhanced damages and attorneys' fees. A final judgment of $7.1 million was affirmed by the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Represented a national retail chain as a defendant in a copyright infringement action. Obtained a jury verdict finding no liability.
- Represented a major optical disc replicator as a defendant in a copyright infringement lawsuit. Obtained an order awarding the defendant its attorneys' fees following grant of summary judgment against the plaintiff.
- Global-Tech Appliances, Inc. v. SEB S.A., 563 U.S. ___, 2011 WL 2119109 (2011)
- Advanced Magnetic Closures, Inc. v. *Rome Fastener Corp., 607 F.3d 817 (Fed. Cir. 2010)
- Sokolov v. *Lorad Corp. and *Hologic, Inc., 476 F. Supp.2d 130 (D. Conn. 2007)
- *Romag Fasteners, Inc. v. Mitzi Int'l Handbag & Accessories, 323 F. Supp.2d 512 (S.D.N.Y. 2004); 2005 WL 78585 (S.D.N.Y. 2005); 2005 WL 351741 (S.D.N.Y. 2005), aff'd, 168 Fed.Appx. 425 (Fed. Cir.), cert. denied, 549 U.S. 822 (2006)
- Arclightz & Films Pvt. Ltd. v. Video Palace Inc. and *Cinram International Inc. et al., 67 U.S.P.Q.2d 1152 (S.D.N.Y. 2003)
- Arclightz & Films Pvt. Ltd. v. Video Palace Inc. and *Cinram International Inc. et al., 2003 WL 22434153 (S.D.N.Y. 2003)
- *SEB S.A. v. Montgomery Ward & Co., Inc.; 137 F. Supp.2d 285 (S.D.N.Y. 2001); 77 F. Supp.2d 399 (S.D.N.Y. 1999), aff'd, 243 F.3d 566 (Fed. Cir. 2000)
National Association of Women Lawyers, International Committee
American Intellectual Property Law Association
International Trademark Association
Business Council for Peace, Inc. Bpeace is a non-profit organization providing pro bono business consultation to entrepreneurs in war-torn regions. Wendy sat on the Bpeace Board of Directors from 2005-2008, and traveled to Afghanistan and Rwanda to help develop its program.
Speaking Engagements and Honors:
Speaker, National Association of Women Lawyers, General Counsel Institute, November 2009
Speaker, New York Intellectual Property Law Association, 2010 Fall CLE Program, November 2010
Speaker, International Intellectual Property Society, "Contours of Induced Patent Infringement," February 2012
Speaker, 28th Annual Joint Patent Practice Seminar, "Global-Tech v. SEB (Supreme Court May 2011): What change may be coming for joint infringement?" April 2012
Speaker, Third Annual Supreme Court Review, CUNY School of Law, Hispanic National Bar Association and Puerto Rican Bar Association, September 2012
Speaker, Annual Conference on International Intellectual Property Law & Policy at Fordham Law School, 2011, 2013
New York Metro Area Super Lawyers, 2010